Monday, March 25, 2013

Where we've been the last 9 months

I know you thought you had lost me, but here I am. It would be quite a daunting task to tell you everything in detail that has happened these past months, so I'm starting back slow with a little synopsis, month by month. I don't want to overwhelm myself too soon.

We left off in June...
June: traveled to Oklahoma City for a class John was taking at the FAA, bought a house in North Tacoma and are really happy with it and the location (wish we were home more to enjoy it though)

July: frantically tried to get moved in and still have time to catch up with friends and family

August- Sept.: spent these 2 months in Alabama for an officer training course John was required to take. We lived in a 3 bedroom apt with some friends of ours who are stationed in Germany. It was great to spend so much time with them since we live so far apart.

October: Both my loving grandparents passed away within 12 days of each other. I was so grateful to be able to attend both funerals and to be able to spend that time with my family

November: Finally we were home, well sort of. John went on his first hunting trip with my dad and shot his first buck. I was able to visit my good friend Julie in MT, while they were out hunting. Then came the holidays--Thanksgiving with John's family. Oh, and I did my first craft fair. It went pretty well, mostly it was a huge learning experience. I'm still trying to figure out if it's best to stick with the online stuff or to try and focus on craft fairs/bazaars.

December: We celebrated Sydney's 2nd birthday! Wow, these past 2 years have been a wild ride for her, fortunately she doesn't know the difference! Then came Christmas. John went on a trip right before  the holidays, so Sydney and I were able to head east a little earlier than planned. Of course, Gaga and Bapa were pretty happy about that. We also tackled potty training, which is still a work in progress.

January: I unfortunately totaled our car on a trip to eastern WA in mid-January. And that pretty much summed up that month. Fortunately Sydney and I were fine and I'm so thankful for God's protection.

February: We left our troubles behind and headed to New Zealand! John was put on the Deep Freeze mission which transports scientists to and from Antarctica via Christchurch, NZ. Sydney and I flew down commercial to join him for 3 weeks. The work load was pretty minimal, so we enjoyed a lot of family time together (John has been pretty busy with work here at McChord). The last 4 days of our trip were spent in Brisbane, Australia where I visited a good friend from college (who married an Aussie). I promise I will post more about this and pictures too.

March: We'll here we are...
We returned from down under a few days into March. The Lord blessed us with a new car to replace the old one. We were so thankful to find a the exact same car (color too) only a couple years newer. We really like the Toyota Sequoia. We were home about 1.5 wks and then went down to Kansas for my sister-in-laws wedding. We are so happy to be home now and are stubbornly not going anywhere! Of course we always welcome visitors!

Here is a little update on the little one:
While she remains petite, Sydney is in the 75% for height. My biggest problem is finding clothes that will fit in length and still stay around her waist. Her vocabulary is expanding by leaps and bounds these days and her favorite song is Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. My sister made her a cd of kids music and where ever we are, car or at home, it's always, "Sydney's songs, Sydney's songs." With all the traveling she's done, she's still a very easy going kid and I'm so thankful. She loves going to church and bible study. It's amazing to see what she picks up on at such an early age. She's still a bit lacking in the hair and teeth area (about 7 teeth behind), but she's makes do with what's she's got. Her favorite toys are: baby stroller, baby car seat, necklaces, and her play kitchen.

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

So good to get an update! :)

Lisa said...

That is a crazy nine months. Toby has been talking about "SINNY" lately... he says "Sinny and Toby and Ezra gonna go to the park." I'm really not sure where it came from, but there you go.

I had no idea about New Zealand or your car wreck (YIKES!) so I'm glad to hear you had a fun trip and everyone's safe (and a new car!).

Hopefully we'll manage to see you guys again soon :)
-Lisa

~Sue said...

Yay! Updates makes the distance seem just a wee bit less! Blessings on your heads.

Mica Kucera said...

Love, learning a bit more about you :)